Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Re: "Factory Girls"

AKB48 20090704 Japan Expo 01

The picture above is of Minami Minegishi, of AKB48 - she of the shaved head I saw some weeks ago. This article talks about the issue some more, and I find myself agreeing despite myself. I say despite myself because ordinarily I have no problem with sexuality in media - the more of it the better, I say. I'm not opposed to ogling hot young things; I love fanservice. But, well... after reading the article and then watching the video below...


I can't help but see the point.

It feels forced and cheap. I'm not indicting anyone's culture here, I'm just saying what came to mind as I was watching this; I guess the illusion didn't take hold in me. These are people who work hard even though they might not have great exposure compared to other groups (or even fellow members), who perform for reasons important to them. And I agree - just because they are caught being human they shouldn't have to choose to debase themselves in order to ensure their survival.

I can't help but think that the fans in no small way share the blame for this. The members of these groups try to make a connection with us, or at least catch our fancy. To maintain our adoration they have to be "faithful" to us, like a virgin betrothed to some pagan god. In return, we give them income, we protect them against more malign, "hater" spirits. When they "mess up" they have to propitiate our anger, like some weird spirit whose favor determines their temporary success. I'm slightly horrified that  I might have unknowingly become part of this system.

An article from the New Yorker had a title that I find pretty apt for the phenomenon: "Factory Girls." The author was writing about K-pop groups but I think it applies to similar cultural technology. I don't see T-ARA as factory girls, and I would like it if their agencies didn't see them that way either. The New Yorker article said that idols usually had a life of five years in the business if they're lucky, it's almost like one were describing a successful TV show. In light of the fact that these groups provide so much enjoyment to people and that they contribute so much to their countries' revenue, not to mention that they represent those countries to foreigners, I believe they are entitled to be treated better.

No comments:

Post a Comment