Friday, January 11, 2013

What Is Seen

I have a habit of listening to a piece of music that I like over and over. For some reason I don't get the dreaded Ear Worm affliction; it's kind of sad since I really would like to have the song be in my head the entire day.

With Youtube music videos, I can spend hours watching the same thing, then starting it over once it's done. Which is why I noticed something with these videos: the first is a video of T-ARA performing their latest single at Music Festival:


Now this next video was taken back in 2010, and notice the camerawork on Hyomin (the redhead above):


What I find interesting is how the camera focuses less on her in the 2010 performance. Whereas with Eunjung, even if the choreography did not place her in the middle of the group, she still gets close-ups. Also, it seems like the cameras focus on the newcomers to the group quite a lot; in the 2010 video there's substantial screentime on Hwayoung while in the Music Festival video Areum gets the same treatment.

The shots don't seem to be planned to that level of detail beforehand, therefore my guess is the cameramen spend their time getting good angles so that when the feed cuts to them they can provide good shots. The question of to whom they will aim the camera lens, though, is up to them. What I see is what they like to see; it's probably the closest we'll ever get to literally seeing something from someone's viewpoint. There's power there, if one cares for it...

We are dependent on our eyes to get information about the world, but what we can see isn't the whole of what the world is. People have secrets, and there are things that just pass over our brains even though we can see them. To wit:


Seeing is all well and good but we shouldn't stop there. My martial arts teacher is giving me this unseen (or is it unnoticed?) component. For example, even though I am going through the movements of the form there should be things that are happening with my mind; there are things I should be imagining at key points and also all throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment