Monday, January 14, 2013

Self Defense

Marc MacYoung is the real thing. Back in the day I found him after I found Mr. Montaigue. Interestingly, both of them don't like being referred to with honorifics. I suppose it goes with warriors of the same caliber, haha.

I found this interview in Tribal Triangle today. It made me nostalgic of my time trying to be a fighter, and how I used to haunt Marc's NoNonsenseSelfDefense site. I distinctly remember, that the words I read back then didn't quite grab me as they do today. I suppose that means I've grown older, huh?

This is my favorite bit:

A lot of people have a run in and it didn't pan out like their Hollywood Macho fantasies say it 'should' have ended. Instead of jumping up and in a blaze of Killer- Commando-Krav-Touch-Myself- As-I-Watch -"Roadhouse"- Kung -fu- Awesomeness and bitchslapping the offending party, they did the smart thing. In doing whatever that was, the situation ended without violence.  
Here is where the ego goes nuts. They proceed to self-flagellate themselves about what they 'should' have done and how tiny their penises are for not going all Ninja Turtle on the guy. 
This is bullshit. What matters is that the situation didn't go violent. Not only from the standpoint that they didn't get their asses kicked, hospitalized or killed, but if they had they done that blaze of kung fu they would have got arrested for throwing someone a beating. But the beat themselves up for ending the situation without violence. 
Hell, I even get people who claim that they 'froze' when someone got in their faces and they didn't do anything.  Well here's a little reality break, NOT doing anything is what kept you from getting your ass kicked. Three things about that barking, snarling and drooling dude in your face. First, he's not going to react well to your ego-saving comment about his mother. Two, if he didn't think he could kick your ass, he wouldn't be there in the first place. Third, you making a comment about his mother shows he's right that  you aren't ready to rock and roll. 

AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment