Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Martial Art

I suppose it's time I talked about my practice.

I found a book in the bargain bin of a bookstore back in college. I was a freshman and I was enjoying the greater freedom that I found then. The book was by Erle Montaigue, it was titled "Ultimate Dim-Mak: How To Fight A Grappler And Win." I still have that book.

Erle Montaigue learned Yang-style Taiji and Baguaquan. He introduced me to the world of internal martial arts. Life got in the way though and I never got the chance to train with him.

In late April of last year, I started studying a style. It isn't Taiji or Bagua - it's my Last Chance Style. I call it that because I consider Erle to be my first opportunity to learn under a master; I lost that opportunity. I had a second chance to learn, this time Xingyiquan, but again I let life get in the way and gave up too early. I've decided that this will be my Last Chance to become a master, to attain meritorious achievement.

The nice thing about studying Last Chance style is that you pay more attention. Your focus doesn't lag as much since you know that a mistake could prove disastrous to your continued tuition. You want to take more detailed notes; you buy the gear and actually practice with the gear rather than let dust gather over them. You're more conscious of getting on your teacher's good side as you want to make sure he withholds nothing from you. You buy books on the style, study videos, think about what you're being taught.

You can easily learn Last Chance style too. We have branches all over the world. It may not be the most consistent style (sometimes it can be eclectic - some teachers emphasize stand-up, others grappling), but membership is easy - just say you are and you are. I guarantee that you'll learn more out of it than any other style, we have a proven teaching method :)

No comments:

Post a Comment