Sunday, January 6, 2013

Medical Musings

Trepanation medieval color

Read this about how views in medicine can be influenced by the culture practicing the medicine, it's quite interesting. I've also come across this; both articles leave me with the impression that life can be very complicated, especially for those who have to go through conditions that medical practitioners do not fully understand yet.

I had to undergo Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy last month. It was an hour-long outpatient procedure - if I had gotten kidney stones a decade ago, they would have had to open me up to get at the stones. What a difference a decade makes, doesn't it? 

I was concerned though since when I tried to read more about the treatment I kept getting information that there was a risk for complications. It seems like the current mode medicine takes is to aim to treat your sickness at the cost of causing other conditions to arise that might not be as grave or immediately life-threatening.

No comments:

Post a Comment