Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I never really had the urge to play console games like Tekken - not because I don't like fighting games. I actually do love a good fighter, but it's just that I don't want to shell out the money to buy a console in order to get to play. It's just too big an investment for me.

I was sorely tempted though when I learned recently that Tekken had a character named Wang Jinrei who used Xingyiquan as his style. Now,  Xingyiquan is a marvelous kung fu; it's the kind that takes a lifetime to master and old age isn't an impediment to learning. It's characterized by powerful, direct movements; it's simple and practical, but also very beautiful in its own way. Now, along with another game that had a Xingyiquan player, I had two very compelling reasons to buy the hardware. As a martial arts enthusiast, I really wanted to experience the flavor of their style, if only through controlling characters on the screen. I'd master their capabilities, lay waste to all comers, etc, etc. I felt a bit sorry for myself that I didn't have the funds yet, but I knew it was only a matter of time...

Then I realized: I didn't have to buy so much stuff to get to be a Xingyiquan stylist. I actually AM one; I learned the basics in about year, and have been practicing sporadically since. Funny how 3D can make us forget what's important - if I wanted to be Xingyi, all I needed to do was practice more often.

True mastery doesn't lie in the adornments we surround ourselves with. Its worth is not measured in coin, but in time and effort and opportunity. Time being what our lives are made of, mastery then is about giving up your life for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment