Sunday, May 25, 2014

Learning the Eternal Spring

A fellow student learned Weng Chun years ago. My teacher was impressed with the art's handwork and wanted to incorporate the sensitivity drills from Weng Chun into our art. But I decided to get deeper into it to improve my technique; happily, my kungfu brother agreed to make me his junior in this art. I've learned the Seven Stars of Weng Chun and the first two parts of the Siu Nim Tao form. 

It's important to state here that Wing Chun and Weng Chun are completely different - the latter is a soft martial art. It's less about aggressively intercepting and more about receiving the force in order to deflect it. I've found the art likes to have one hand do everything. Remember that there will be times where you might not be able to use both hands, and Weng Chun's ability to find the holes in another's defense is top-notch.

Below are some videos my kungfu brother-turned-senior have shown me. They're very cool stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment