Friday, December 6, 2013

My Diet

In Speedos (5969781608)
By Alex Proimos from Sydney, Australia (In Speedos  Uploaded by russavia) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

First off, have a read on this Wikipedia entry about abdominal obesity. I'm a bit concerned about my own love handles so I decided to do something - but intention doesn't always lead action, even with my training.

A large part of what I'm trying to learn for myself is the fact that what you look like doesn't dictate what you can do. My endeavor musn't be about looking attractive or showing up people who make my girth all that I am. It should be about health and quality of life, and what I'll be passing on. I read about genetic accommodation and epigenetics, and I don't want to pass on activated genes that increase my descendants' chances for cancer or other diseases.

I took the Coursera course for The New Nordic Diet; I like the ideas that they introduced, about emphasizing sustainability, aesthetics, flavor, and nutrition in crafting unique cuisine that reflects their culture. I can't claim to be able to do the same, but I've since incorporated elements of the diet to my routine.

I eat walnuts now everyday, and I'm incorporating more vegetables, especially chickpeas and peanuts, in my diet. I've stopped my frequent snacking, only eating three square meals a day. I don't drink carbonated beverages; I've gone months without doing so. My breakfast now has oats and black coffee - and come to think of it, I don't drink anything with my coffee now. A consequence of taking the CAMBRA course, I guess. I drink about two liters of water everyday, that's it.

It's rather unfortunate that my country has neglected food products coming from wild sources, so it's hard to find meat form wild game or wild herbs. I'm supplementing that lack with borrowing from other cultures' cuisine. After all, my country is something of a melting pot. A Korean grocery close to us is my source for seaweed (both laver and dried), kimchi, and gochujang; I'm still trying to source herbs like cilantro as well as mushrooms, but I've happily found soba and pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds. I eat yoghurt too, and am still looking for kefir. I've also successfully gotten my family to adopt curries and Indian spices.

I'll try to post more about the effects of this in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment