Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Scrappy Heap

So I've read that T-ARA is being considered to be some sort of Scrappy of K-pop groups right now because  of all the controversies they've figured in. I for one feel that it's a waste of their good talent to have them be hounded - just because they are public figures does not mean that they should be acceptable targets for backlash. 

It's the cost of free speech, I guess. When anyone can speak up, no speech is special. I consider being able to speak your mind as a safeguard for individuals so that they can create imaginative, meaningful and relevant messages. I really doubt it was for members of cliques to raise themselves up in their own eyes by dressing down targets, for instance.

Me, I believe in silence. Keeping mum isn't because I'm too slow to think of a comeback or that I'm riddled with guilt. I keep quiet because I know neither side will ever admit defeat, and to fight in such a situation is just a drain on my resources. It's better to do the job in front of me. It's better to grow in strength and expertise in all the things that are important to me. Let others do what they feel justified in doing; though they wish to exert power over me, I am myself and that is all I need.

Alas, my favorite K-pop group doesn't have that luxury. They need to go on interviews and talk to so many people. But they keep moving forward. So they truly are scrappy - as in, full of fighting spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment