Monday, May 6, 2013

Learning Five Programming Languages

In these two videos we have the founders of two programming languages discuss which languages they believe every professional developer should know. I'm kind of happy that I'm familiar with most of the languages they enumerated.

Bjarne Stroustrup, of C++ fame


Larry Wall, Perl master

I've coded in C, C++, C#, and Java before. For webpage front-ends I know HTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript - what I'm not familiar with Google generally supplements. I'm studying Scala for my functional language, and I have been exposed to Python through my own self-study. For databases, I have basic experience in MySQL and T-SQL.

Here's the thing though - in my experience knowledge in these programming languages is kind of expected for a developer gig. What really sets apart good software engineers is in the mastery of frameworks and tools for these specific languages. That means you have to know which tools are popular and get decent with them. This article helps break things down for us. Oh, and don't forget to take a look at this article as well, for a reversal of perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment