Monday, July 22, 2013

Red-Green Madness Aggro

I think I mentioned before how addicted I used to be to Magic the Gathering. I was really devoted to making Red-Green Madness Aggro work, and with the current Core Set I managed to acquire the last set of cards I needed. Switched out the Phantom Centaurs, and the result is:

8 Mountain
5 Forest
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Taiga

4 Kird Ape
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Arrogant Wurm

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Faithless Looting
4 Violent Eruption
4 Fireblast

3 Cursed Scroll
1 Umezawa's Jitte

I find that the Phoenixes fit in more with the discard mechanic in the deck. I can use the card draw of Faithless Looting to search for burn and/or multiple copies of the Phoenix, and they work well with the Wild Mongrels too.

... I know this is meaningless to someone who's never played the game, and I recognize that I had sworn that there would be no further entertainment of delusions of Magic grandeur. There won't be anymore, I'm sure - because it turns out I don't really want to play big effects or build innovative decks or win games. I just want to create something that's mine, and where all the pieces fit together elegantly. I am what this new era of Magic gaming calls a Melvin. And I feel that this tendency defines everything that I endeavor to do, from programming to martial arts to writing to Go.

I want to build something that is my own, that is minimal and efficient and cool. I want to play video games where I can evolve my own style (here's looking at you, Yomi and King of Fighters and Guilty Gear and Thief and Hitman). I idolize Tom Waits and Charles Bukowski and other self-made men out there who have done what I haven't. I love the concept of improvisation and the blues

Now what? Dunno. But it's nice to have that moment of self-awareness.


No comments:

Post a Comment