Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Zhan Zhuang

I am now consistently able to reach one hour of standing practice.It's been more than a year since I started studying. Health-wise, I've found my digestive system to have become more stable. My right shoulder and right leg also seem to be stronger, whereas before starting standing they were quite weak compared to my left side.

There's a key to being able to last so long in a Zhan Zhuang posture. I've found that it's good to remember to always stretch the head upwards; as you do so imagine the upper body drooping down like taffy into your waist. Push down with the feet and the C-back will be perfectly created. Try to keep your chest concave, and if the shoulders still hurt try to make sure the hands are shoulder-width apart and parallel to the shoulders.

Standing practice also helps create a mental/spiritual "space." When you have this space all the day-to-day stresses seem to pale. They are not so important as maintaining alignment during the session, and unpleasant/unnecessary thoughts just flow away. They enter the mind easily and are just as easily flushed out.

There are other benefits. Ever since I started I have not lifted a single pound for weight training. And yet now I am really much stronger. My arm muscles have also gotten noticeably bigger. I don't slip or trip over myself anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment