Saturday, March 2, 2013

Systema - Learning to Hit Deep

Systema is a martial art that fascinates my teacher. The principles that he's seen so far being reflected in their training and fighting would indicate that this martial art is firmly grounded in the internal style of fighting. I myself have a couple of DVD's from this website. My teacher likes how System practitioners sometimes practice pushing hands with more than two players; I prefer the breathing and conditioning techniques that they do.

The video below is from Sharon Friedman's Systema Israel blog. He has a lot of interesting ideas and he periodically comes out with videos on Systema drills. Most of the time the drills need a partner, which is a bit problematic for me. Systema has a lot of emphasis it seems on partner work, while the art I am learning right now has a lot of training methods you do on your own. For partner work like pushing hands or form correction, I have my teacher who checks me once a week when we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment