Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Flights of Fancy - or, Pretty Good Harry Potter Fanfiction

Back when I was little I loved to spend time walking around the house while I imagined what would happen if my favorite TV characters got together - or more often, what would happen if they penetrated the veil that is the TV set's monitor and managed to land in my world. It's a fun piece of escapism and I remember spending hours just getting the interactions to mesh with the characters' personalities. 

I find now that I am older that I still retain an interest in "What if?" stories. I love to think about crossovers and team-ups. I'm not the only one - there are those who discuss in forums the myriad ways this character would trounce another in a straight fight, who would have the better abilities, etc.

Today, I submit a worthy contribution to the genre: this fanfiction by Camwyn brings together Harry Potter and John Constantine from Hellblazer. It's certainly funny, and the author has managed to get the characters' voices spot-on. I have to say it's a superior piece of fiction. It also raises another thing about Intellectual Property Rights - I mean, a lot of people really love the author's idea, but if copyright restrictions had their way this work would never have gotten off the ground. Even though the series is incomplete - and has not been updated for seven years now - it's still incredibly creative, and we are the better for having it. In fact, I'm currently looking to it for pointers on good fiction writing. 

It is that good. Please take the time to give it a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment