Monday, April 22, 2013

Tragedies

I posted this stub before about a ZenPencils poster I found. I'm calling attention to this because even up to now I still feel the same, perhaps even more so after reading this article on a victim of the Boston bombings. 

She had wanted to be a bank analyst. She went to a different country in order to pursue her goals. These things already mark her as special - I should know, being someone who has struggled against failure and self-sabotage. What she was able to accomplish was impressive - who knows what she would have been able to do had she lived longer?

We are all going to die, and we are lucky because there are those who never will. They, who were never born, include people with talent greater than ours. And yet it is us in our ordinariness who are here. I believe this. But what of those who were born, but who die too early? They include this young woman whom I had the honor of reading about. She was more than me, perhaps more than I could ever be. And yet it is me in my ordinariness who is here, not her. 

I feel something heavy on my shoulders at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment