Sunday, May 15, 2016

Giving Your All isn't Always Enough

It kind of struck me hard, reading this news about Baby J. I've experienced being mediocre despite knowing I could do better. I've seen my friends move on to bigger and better things. I've choked on a career-changing moment before, even.

I'm lucky that my hiatuses have only been for three months at a time. But she's been plugging away for two years. 

The thing with her field is that it's so horribly competitive. The top won't budge, and every year more people are debuting at the bottom. Management has different priorities from advancing your personal career, and fans get tired of you - if they don't become rabid anti-fans first. People like her get edged out, then without a support system her skills degrade. It's hard to keep up the same performance level when you have to spend majority of your waking hours doing unrelated work to get the money for food or rent.

I write this to be reminded that effort and perseverance and everything else isn't always rewarded. You don't know what will happen. You just keep on going believing that you'll reach your dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment