Saturday, July 4, 2015

Trine and the multiplayer experience

First of all, two things: I did not play multiplayer games as a child, a teen, and a young adult. It's only in my thirties that I got into Team Fortress 2 and was exposed to the fun of multiplayer.

Second, I got Trine on a lark because it had good reviews and was on sale at the time. I played for under an hour and liked the graphics, but didn't really get hooked. Trine was soon going to be part of my Steam backlog.

I read about the Dead MP Games Resurrection Group and joined. They had a scheduled Trine multiplayer game for today, so I thought why not? I played Trine for about an hour just to familiarize myself before the session.

My goodness, this game. I suppose it's a distant ancestor of Dark Souls? Because I died a lot - and I was not prepared.

I played with two members of the Steam group - they were in a party, one of two that were active at the time of the session. We were bad and awkward - but it was fun. There's a rush when you know the other character on your screen has a flesh-and-blood brain.

After the session, I played Trine again. On my own this time, I noticed that a lot of the puzzles in the game could be solved not just by timing and reflex, but also by the unique capabilities of each of my people. I found myself turning toward the Wizard a lot for solutions.

You have no idea how fulfilling getting this to happen was...

No comments:

Post a Comment