Tuesday, June 23, 2015

On the Tim Hunt Controversy

Here's the first thing I did after reading about all that has happened to Sir Tim Hunt:  I tried to find a video of the speech. Context is everything, right?

I couldn't find a video of the relevant portion that has everyone so upset. I did find this:


All of this hate, and we can't even find one incriminating clip? 

Here's how the man himself explained it, courtesy of Wikipedia (original source of snippet can be found here):
Crucially, Hunt said, he then added the words, “now seriously” before going on to praise the role of women in science and in Korean society. “The words ‘now seriously’ make it very clear that I was making a joke, albeit a very bad one, but they were not mentioned in the first reports and I was deluged with hate mail,”...
Ok. So we have no context. This could have been everything people are saying it was; or this could instead be a British person making a dry remark that's meant to not be taken seriously but does hint at some personal misadventures that are better left unsaid.

We ran with this, didn't we? And we're such good people. And the world is better for what we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment