Friday, July 18, 2014

Let's clean our backyard.


I'm sharing this, but I haven't watched it yet. I've lived to the point where I think it's fine if I refrain from watching some things. I'm never watching one scene in Malena again, and neither will I ever watch this.

I've been lurking in YouTube since before it got acquired by Google. In all that time it's grown to be something quite amazing, I think. It's changed how people see the world. It's a source of income for a lot of folks, and a vehicle for free information. 

I've grown older too, and the longer I've been in the world the more I see what selfish cruel sh*ts some people are. I've seen shallowness and people letting themselves down. Heck, I've let myself down a lot too. But I think letting down the girl above, we all who've been in YouTube are a little culpable. 

Why didn't someone reach out? 

Yesterday, sick of the crap I had to wade through at work and looking for some distraction, I found videos of people taken on the sly. They weren't really doing anything wrong, just going about their day. But the one who uploaded the drivel was trying to frame the situation in such a way that the person being recorded was doing something wrong. As if the uploader had the right, training, or authorization for that. Taking someone minding their own business, taking the situation out of context, exploiting the hive mind-cum-rage machine that is us. 

And people fall for it too. Or they willingly go with it. For the power trip it brings. 

I'm sick of this crap out in the world. I know it's not my job to swat at these flies, but I can at least do a little bit to clean up. To show the sh*ts of the world that there are consequences to their manipulations, that there is at least one person out there who won't buy into their propaganda. I reported the video; today I saw that it had been taken down. 

The feeling is cathartic. Right now I found a user uploading voyeur shots of women. There's a lot of videos on the channel and YouTube's reporting tools are cumbersome. Hunkering down...

You can join at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment