Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Brief Love Affairs

I clearly remember Robert Fulghum writing in one of his books once about brief loves. They come and go when you least expect them and then are all the sweeter for their briefness. His example was a truck driver he'd see semi-regularly; there was something about her to him and he looked forward to those days when he might see her. It never progressed past that and after some chance sightings he never saw her again. 

I can sympathize now, I've had the experience of giving up on a love and having reality intrude a lot. I've seen loves reciprocated and loves rejected, loves that changed and loves that never came off the ground. In fact, as I am writing this I am coming to terms with an ended love myself. I think I understand Mr. Fulghum a bit more; though there is no guarantee the objects of our affection would have the same feelings, we are all free to hold each other in special regard. One should look forward to the rare moments when one sees another in a different light; they are proof of life in an existence where it can be hard to justify why we go on.

Life is quite painful and the end of these love affairs can be as well. So mourn for them in however way you see fit. And perhaps, look forward to the next one?

No comments:

Post a Comment